Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Film News In Brief

Here are a few film news items I've talked about previously on my blog, some of which are old news now but I felt compelled to mention them anyway in case there is that one person out there who reads only this website for film news and need closure:

  1. The new karate kid remake movie is out for a while and has had generally positive reviews, despite the fact that it sounded like a horrible idea when I first heard about it. In fact, it still sounds like a horrible idea to me, so I never went to see it. Maybe I'll catch it on DVD someday, who knows.

  2. Guillermo Del Toro is no longer directing The Hobbit, and the film itself has spiralled into development hell. Peter Jackson himself might be directing it, if only it had any hope at all of being filmed. The latest news is that Sir Ian McKellen has threatened to walk out on the production if it's not greenlit soon. What a sad situation.

  3. Christopher Nolan's Inception has had early reviews, and the buzz indicates it's as awesome as we hoped it'd be.

  4. A crazy wild rumour has surfaced on the internet that Russell T. Davies is producing a Doctor Who theatrical film, with Johnny Depp as the first choice to play the Doctor. Luckily this is just a rumour and not real news, for if it were real I'd be throwing things at the screen right about now. I know Depp is supposed to be a fine actor, but he just isn't The Doctor. My irrational fanboyism dictates that I must hate the idea.

  5. Andrew Garfield has been cast as Spider-Man in the new upcoming unnecessary reboot of the franchise. I can't say if this is good or bad, but he seems like an okay actor. Fun fact: He was in the Daleks In Manhattan two-parter episode of Doctor Who.

No comments: